Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grandma White and the old man

One more for today: my grandmother Lois Anna (Krall) White (1920-2002) and my father.

Image

The inscription notes that my dad was 2-1/2 months old at the time; the photo was taken in mid-August 1938. My grandmother was 18. I don't know precisely where the photo was taken; it is most likely somewhere in Pueblo although I don't recognize the house.  My grandma was born in Pueblo, Colorado, the oldest child of John Krall (1896-1935) and Marie Mocilnikar (1899-1988). Her grandfather Joseph Krall (1869-1933) emigrated to the United States from the village of Rapljevo in what was then the province of Carinthia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Her mother's parents, Anton Mocilnikar and Marija Rogel, had also emigrated from what is now Slovenia; I'll write more in another post about my Slovenian ancestors. My father told me that his great-grandfather Mocilnikar, who was born in Kamnik, Slovenia, once said to him that one reason he chose to settle in Pueblo was that the mountains there reminded him of the Julian Alps of his home.

No comments:

Post a Comment