Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grandpa White and the old man

Over the summer I had the chance to go through the old photo album my late father inherited when his father died in 1977. I'll be posting photos from it as I have the chance.

The quality of the photos isn't outstanding, unfortunately. These are photos of photos, as I didn't have access to a scanner. I hope someday to scan them.

This first photo is of my grandfather Ray L. White (1909-1977) and my father E. Bruce White (1938-2000).Image

You can see from the inscription that my dad was one year old at the time. This would place the photo between June 1939 and June 1940, in Pueblo, Colorado. My grandfather looks like he's dressed for his job at the CF&I steel mill. I'm not certain of the location of the photo; it could be the back yard of their house at 1233 Berkley in Pueblo. Grandpa White was born in Newton County, Missouri, the youngest son of Erasmus P. White (1861-1915) and Mary Frances Thomas (1877-1948). Once when I asked him where he was born, Grandpa replied with his usual grin, "Jop-lin, Missouri!" His grandparents had settled outside Saginaw, Missouri in 1870; at some point my great-grandparents moved to Tipton Forge, before finally settling in Neosho after my great-grandfather's death. I haven't yet precisely established when the entire family moved to Pueblo. It was sometime after 1920, when the family is listed in the federal census of Newton County as residing in Neosho.

No comments:

Post a Comment