Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hadley? Adlai?

My grandfather's name was Ray Lester White. But it appears that he was enumerated as "Hadley White" in the 1910 federal census of Newton County, Missouri. Here is a link to the relevant page of the census (unfortunately the film is difficult to read):

http://archive.org/stream/13thcensus1910po802unit

The only other explanation I can think of is that he had a twin named Hadley, and that he himself was not present the day the census enumerator showed up. I doubt that this was the case, as nobody with first-hand knowledge of his immediate family has ever indicated that he was a twin.

The simplest explanation of the 1910 census entry is that the infant boy not yet one year old who was enumerated in April 1910 is indeed my grandfather, and that at some point before 1920 his name was changed to Ray. I have no idea why that should have happened, and what the family significance of the name Hadley (Adlai?) could have been.

My great-grandfather was born in 1861 in Abingdon, Knox County, Illinois. Was there some connection with the Stevenson family of Illinois? Adlai Stevenson I (1835-1914) would have been a contemporary of my 2g grandfather (born 1834).

No comments:

Post a Comment